Cliffhangers 2016 CLIFFHANGERS 2016
What were your key takeaways?
- Be prepared for the cliffhanger. You don't know everything. Be honest. Do the best you can.
- We all have cliffhanger moments; stay authentic, listen to your own values as a consultant; keep within the boundaries of your role, even if that means being flexible and creative. Keep calm!
- Trust your gut!
- There are many valid ways to see exactly the same situation. This is a central piece of intelligence from this program.
- There is a broad range of possible strategies that can be effective in a given difficult client situation.
- "Key takeaways for me:
- Approach cliffhanger moments with empathy
- Passion is passion, even if expressed as anger
- My approach was in some ways validated by the approach taken, or by other facilitators
- I learned different approaches may apply in certain situations
- Try to avoid getting caught up in my own emotions (fear, uncertainty...)
- How important it is to remain clear on your objectives while listening for what is in the room
- "Be open to unexpected and rapid changes in situations and be prepared to think on your feet.”
- Accurate assessment of the political landscape is helpful in deciding next steps."
- "It’s not my job to make everyone happy.”
- It is appropriate to assess when and how to invite attendees to surface their concerns"
- The "softer" skills of facilitation can easily trump a sharp agenda or other preparedness.
What did you most appreciate about the workshop?
- Abby was a great facilitator, the presenters really for very kind and sharing and the audience was really active in participating in all the exercises.
- Getting to know other members and hearing about their experiences. I liked the format, working more in-depth in smaller groups.
- Honesty and openness of the group
- I love how eagerly and humbly our colleagues share their stories, and how eagerly and vulnerably individuals at my table explored their noticings.
- The open discussion of differing perspectives on a given situation.
- Meeting facilitators in the area, hearing from their experiences, group discussions to hear and discuss different approaches based on training/background/philosophies, etc.
- The format and structure was quite conducive to shared learning
- The opportunity to meet, interact, and work with professionals in my area of interest.
- The experience and authenticity of the participants greatly augmented the beautifully designed workshop.