TAKEAWAYS from Developing your Brand and Facilitating Brand Strategy with an Organization, Daniel Vogelzang, Nov. 2016
What did you most appreciate about this program?
What are your key takeaways?
- The fishbowl exercises which allowed participants to observe how to work with a nonprofit to create an organizational branding strategy.
- Having a live client in the room to see the facilitation in action. I thought this was very powerful.
- The skilled facilitation of Daniel, the incredible minds in the room, and the atmosphere of productive, cooperative learning.
- The openness of the participants, egos, for the most part, are left at the door which leads to deeper learning, curiosity and more authentic shared learning.
- Re-establishing branding as a priority - practical exercises to move forward with it for ourselves - tools to apply with clients.
- Daniel's style was both well-informed (he clearly masters the content) and yet flexible & empathetic. His examples were very useful to bring the content to life.
- The concept of marketing has a bad reputation among many nonprofits because it's often seen as something that "profit hungry corporations" do. It was therefore very insightful to see how developing a branding strategy can be used as a much more accessible approach for introducing marketing concepts to nonprofits. This is mainly because developing a branding strategy focuses more on how to best communicate an organization's values and how to provide the best possible experience for clients.
- Clarifying the persona of our most important audience. Thinking more about the value proposition and brand promise we offer.
- Concentrate on my clients' experience interacting with me and my brand. Give them the kind of experience that THEY want to have from start to finish.
- Keep brainstorming vs jumping to the solution: what is the value that your client is getting from your services?
- Spend thoughtful, reflective time getting intimate with my value proposition. Remembering to focus on what makes us different.
- Importance of capturing the authentic experience of the client in process of creating a brand.